Experience Portugal at a relaxed pace while taking in the important cities of Lisbon and Oporto-typical towns and villages and the stunning north-west coastline. Throughout this tour, you'll visit the must-see attractions, including the 16th century Jeronimos Monastery. Often regarded as Lisbon's most important landmark, it was traditional for Portuguese seafarers to pray in the chapel before their departure to the unknown. You'll visit the Sanctuary of our Lady of the Rosary in Fatima, a pilgrimage site where apparitions of the Virgin Mary were reported by three local children in 1917; the 700-year-old university in Coimbra; the Arabian Hall and the Church of Sao Francisco in Oporto, and the Ossuary Chapel in Evora, with its bone- and skull-covered walls. For this exceptional escorted tour of Portugal, Globus has arranged some special treats so that you can savor Portuguese cuisine and wine. Enjoy an olive oil tasting in Belmonte (birthplace of Pedro Alvares Cabral, discoverer of Brazil), and tapas with wine at the Quinta de Aveleda winery. All of this and much more await you on this wonderful Portuguese Escape!
Call (510) 656-6582 for more information or to book today! Mention code 13884064
- Tour Operator
- Offer valid through 6/30/2018
- 9 Days
- Escorted - Yes
|Day 1||Lisbon||Welcome to Lisbon! At 6 pm, meet your Tour Director and traveling companions for a welcome dinner at your hotel. (D)|
|Day 2||Lisbon||Lisbon was the center of Europe's longest-lived overseas empire. Portugal's imperial ambitions date back to Prince Henry the Navigator's 15th-century discoveries in West Africa. Morning sightseeing with a Local Guide features a drive through the Baixa quarter's main squares. Then, enjoy a walk through the cobblestone alleys of quaint ALFAMA, the popular quarter of the seamen and Fado singers. Drive along the grand Avenida da Liberdade up to Pombal Square, and stop for pictures of Belem Tower and the Monument of the Discoverers. Also visit JERONIMOS MONASTERY with the tomb of Vasco da Gama. An interesting optional excursion to the royal palace of Queluz is available, as well as dinner at a typical taverna with Fado-style entertainment. (B)|
|Day 3||Tomar||Stop in medieval Obidos and go back in time as you pass the main gate in the impressive perimeter wall and walk along the narrow streets. Continue to Alcobaca to visit the CHURCH OF SANTA MARIA MONASTERY, built in the 12th century for 999 Cistercian monks. See the elaborate tombs of King Pedro I and his Castilian lover, Ines de Castro. The fishing harbor of Nazare is the perfect place for a leisurely lunch break. In the afternoon, mix with the pilgrims at the country's hallowed national shrine, Fatima's SANCTUARY OF OUR LADY OF THE ROSARY. Overnight in Tomar. (B,D)|
|Day 4||Oporto||In Tomar, the historic seat of the mighty Order of the Knights of Christ, visit the hilltop CONVENT OF CHRIST with its famous Manueline Window. Continue to Coimbra, strategically situated on a hill overlooking the Mondego River. After a visit to the 700-year-old UNIVERSITY, drive by ancient Bucaco Forest on your way to Oporto, Portugal's second-largest city. Tonight, why not relax during an optional cruise on the Douro River, followed by dinner at one of Oporto's fine restaurants? (B)|
|Day 5||Oporto||Sightseeing with a Local Guide includes a panoramic drive to the mouth of the Douro River, the soaring cathedral, the richly decorated CHURCH OF SAO FRANCISCO, and the STOCK EXCHANGE with its contemporary ARABIAN HALL, inspired by Granada's Alhambra. (B)|
|Day 6||Viseu||Enjoy a walk through the medieval center of Guimaraes, often referred to as the 'Cradle of Portugal' because of its association with the country's first king, Alfonso Henriques. Next, [LF] taste Portuguese tapas at the Quinta da Aveleda WINERY and visit its splendid GARDENS. From here, a scenic road through the port wine vineyards leads to Viseu, where dinner at a local restaurant awaits! (B,D)|
|Day 7||Evora||This morning, stop in Belmonte, today a symbol of Jewish awakening, for a visit to the JEWISH MUSEUM. Also enjoy an OLIVE OIL TASTING, for which the area is famous. Enjoy an afternoon break in Castelo de Vide, with time to walk through the Jewish quarter with its white-washed houses and its medieval synagogue. Before arriving in Evora, the cultural center of southern Portugal and a former royal residence, visit a CORK FACTORY and learn about the many ways this material can be used. (B,D)|
|Day 8||Lisbon||A massive wall surrounds Evora's medieval center, classified as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Follow your Local Guide on a walking tour through its narrow alleys to the Roman Temple, the early gothic CATHEDRAL, Portas de Moura fountain, and SAO FRANCISCO CHURCH. Visit the OSSUARY CHAPEL, with walls covered with thousands of human bones and skulls. Tonight, enjoy a farewell dinner with your traveling companions. (B,D)|
|Day 9||Lisbon||Your vacation ends with breakfast this morning. (B)|
- US$ Price Details
Prices are per person in single, double or triple room occupancy.The single supplement waiver and single room capacity is limited, please call for availability.All Escapes by Globus tours and departures are excluded from the following Globus discounts: Book Early & Save, Journeys Club discount, Second Tour discount and Small Group discount.Extra nights per person in Lisbon:in single room $92, in twin $58, in triple $48
Travel Terms & Conditions
The purchase of any travel services offered by Globus, constitutes a contractual arrangement between you (the Traveler) and Globus, and represents your acceptance of the Terms & Conditions. Please ensure that you read carefully and understand the Terms & Conditions prior to booking. These Terms & Conditions cover Deposit & Final Payment information, Air-Inclusive Deposits & Final Payment, Revisions & Revision Fees, Air Arrangements, Participation, Travelers Who Need Special Assistance, Young Travelers, Smoking, Price Policy, Visas and Passports, Hotels & Accommodations, Baggage Allowance, Travel Documents, Not Included in the Land Price, Refunds, Service Inquires After the Vacation, Holidays, Safety, Photos & Pictures, Optional Excursions, and Responsibility.
- Vacation departures, itineraries and prices are subject to change.
- A non-refundable, non-transferable deposit is required for Globus to reserve space for you. View Terms & Conditions for limited exceptions.
- The following charges are not included in the land vacation price unless otherwise noted: airfare to and from the start of your vacation; Intra-vacation air unless specified in the itinerary; airline baggage fees including checked and/or excess baggage fees; Federal inspection fees for the Federal U.S. Customs and Immigrations; International Air Transportation tax; agricultural tax; other per person taxes imposed by government entities; airport taxes and fees including the September 11th Security fee up to $11.20 per person, passenger facility charges up to $18 per person, Federal domestic flight segment fees up to $4.00 per segment, and U.S. and International arrival and departure and other government-imposed added by the airline and applicable at time of booking; port taxes; passports; visas (except on Cuba programs) and vaccinations; tips to your Tour or Cruise Director, Globus Group Leader in Cuba, Local Host, driver, Local Guides, and/or ship's crew; gratuities on ferries, trains, and cruise ships; laundry; telephone; minibar; alcohol, beverages, and food outside of the contracted Globus menu as presented at a hotel or restaurant or onboard your vessel (these extra items will be billed to you before leaving the hotel, ship, or restaurant); airport transfers on non-qualifying flights; optional excursions; additional activities and excursions purchased online; porterage at airports and train stations; Travel Protection; and all other items of a personal nature.
Booking your Vacation with Air
For air departure dates within 331 days, you'll be offered a choice of carriers and flight schedules as well as price points to choose from when selecting your flights. Your schedule will be provided to you at the time of booking (schedules are subject to change by carriers). Globus offers 2 air options: Flex Air and Instant Purchase Air. Flex Air allows flexibility if you want to make changes to your vacation schedule. Instant Purchase Air may offer additional airline options but has more restrictions. Some vacations may only offer one Air type option. Guaranteed air-inclusive prices: air is only available to passengers traveling from the United States and only available when booked in conjunction with a land vacation. An additional $300 per person non-refundable air deposit is required for Flex Air booked in conjunction with any land vacation (i.e. air-inclusive vacation). Air can only be booked by Globus in conjunction with a vacation package. Instant Purchase Air requires air payment in full at time of booking (i.e. air-inclusive vacation) plus non-refundable per person service fee ($30 for North/Central America, $50 for Europe/Middle East and $80 for all other destinations. Once booked, Instant Purchase Air is non-refundable, and non-changeable. Some vacations may only offer one Air type option. However, once your airfare is confirmed and Globus has received your full air and land deposit, your air-inclusive vacation price is guaranteed.
Air-Inclusive Vacations - Applicable Taxes & Fees
Air-inclusive vacations include government-imposed taxes and fees applicable at the time of booking and will be shown as a Total Amount. Additional airline fees for baggage may apply. At the time of booking your air-inclusive vacation online, carrier Websites will be provided to check baggage fees, or you can visit www.iflybags.com for up-to-date baggage pricing/restrictions. For return travel from some countries, international travelers are required to pay entry and/or exit fees at the airport. These fees will be collected by the local government and are payable by the traveler at time of travel. Your confirmation booking information will contain information about these fees.
* The "Starting at" or listed price is based on the lowest price available to book. Price is per passenger based on double occupancy and does not include airfare; additional fees/charges are not included. If a price is crossed out, the new price shown includes a limited time promotional offer(s) - please review current promotions or deals for additional information. Some tours require intra-vacation flights (and in some cases intra-vacation segments must be purchased from Globus).